1. The Olympic Games originated from ancient Greece.
2. In the ancient Greek Olympics, only men were allowed to participate in it.
3. The 2008 Olympics will be held in Beijing, China.
4. Modern Olympics began in 1896 through the efforts of a Frenchman, Pierre de Coubertin.
5. The Atlanta Olympics were the first to make profits out of the Games.
6. On the opening of the Olympic Games, a torch-lighting ceremony will be held.
7. The Olympic Village is built for athletes' accommodation.
8. The Olympics were not held because of world wars for 3 times in history.
9. At a meeting in 1925, the IOC officially sanctioned the Olympic Winter Games and declared the competition at Chamonix in 1924 the first Olympic Winter Games.
10. The International Olympic Committee is in charge of the Olympic affairs.
11. In selecting the site of the Olympic Games, the IOC considers a number of factors. Chief among them is which city has, or promises to build, the best facilities.
12. The IOC also considers which parts of the world have not yet hosted the Games.